Star Tribune Unveils Lineup and Giveaways for 2022 Minnesota State Fair
With Sponsorship from Mystic Lake Casino Hotel, Star Tribune’s 2022 Edition of Great Minnesota Get-Together to Feature Celebrity Interviews, Promotions – and Al’s Breakfast Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes Lip Balm
MINNEAPOLIS – Aug. 22, 2022 – As citizens across the state once again return to the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, Star Tribune Media Co., Minnesota’s largest media company, today announced its 12-day lineup of events, merchandise, promotions, and giveaways for the 2022 edition of the Great Minnesota Get-Together®.
This year, the Star Tribune turns to a Twin Cities breakfast icon for its new lip balm flavor – Al’s Breakfast Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes. The new flavor celebrates the State Fair debut of Dinkytown mainstay Al’s Breakfast in the venerable Hamline Church Dining Hall, which is commemorating its 125th anniversary at the State Fair.
“It’s not every day that a lip balm can induce hunger pangs,” said Tim Ikeman, director of partnerships and events at the Star Tribune. “Then again, it’s not every day that we get to partner with legendary favorite Al’s Breakfast and the Hamline Church Dining Hall, which has been a part of the State Fair for more than 100 years. Now, fairgoers can enjoy Al’s delicious pancakes for the first time at the fair – and take a little bit of that flavor home with our free lip balm.”
Attendees can get their free tube (one per person, while supplies last) each day at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the Star Tribune Building (on the north side of Carnes Ave. between Chambers and Nelson Streets). While they’re there, fairgoers can also buy a wide range of Star Tribune merchandise, including T-shirts, umbrellas, and books, such as an updated edition of Steve Sack’s acclaimed anthology, “The First and Only Book of Sack.” In addition, Star Tribune will offer its best deals of the year for digital and print subscriptions.
Noteworthy Newsmakers and Popular Personalities
The Star Tribune Building will once again host conversations, appearances, and performances that showcase some of the state’s top newsmakers, musicians, thought-leaders, and popular personalities over the 12 days of the fair. Some of the scheduled highlights include:
- Curious Minnesota Trivia – Our very own Trivia Mafia host a daily quiz show to test your knowledge of Minnesota facts and history
- Lip Balm Review – From Aug. 25-27, Star Tribune columnist James Lileks returns once again to share his quirky takes on everyone’s favorite State Fair giveaway.
- Bill Guerin – At 2:15 p.m. on Aug. 25, Michael Rand interviews the Minnesota Wild general manager about “The State of Hockey.”
- Tim Walz – In the ongoing Star Tribune/State Fair tradition, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz will take the stage to field questions from Patricia Lopez and Laura McCallum. It takes place on Aug. 26 at 10 a.m.
- “Tales from the Minnesota Sports Beat” – On Aug. 30 at 11 a.m., Chip Scoggin and Patrick Reusse will talk to Michael Rand about their new book “Tales from the Minnesota Sports Beat.”
- A Performance by Siama– Star Tribune’s Richard Chin hosts a conversation and performance by African musician Siama on Aug. 31 at 11:30 a.m.
- Jim Schultz – On Aug. 26 at 1:30 p.m. the candidate for attorney general sits down with Patricia Lopez and Laura McCallum.
- Food Review – Get food and drink reporter Joy Summers’ take on new foods at the State Fair at 3 p.m. on Aug. 26.
- “True North Cabin” – Author Stephanie Hansen talks to Nicole Hvidsten in a conversation about her “True North Cabin Cookbook” at 12:30 p.m. on Aug. 28.
- Steve Simon – The candidate for Secretary of State has a conversation with Patricia Lopez and Laura McCallum on Aug. 29 at 1 p.m.
- “A Slap Shot in Time” – Author Dan Whenesota talks to Michael Rand about his new book, “A Slap Shot in Time: The Wild but True History of the Minnesota Fighting Saints” at 3 p.m. on Aug. 25.
- Kids Concert – On Aug. 29 at 3 p.m., catch a performance by Louis & Dan and the Invisible Band, a kid’s music group led by college professors from St. Olaf College and Carleton College.
- Todd ‘n’ Tina – Don’t miss this performance by Minnesota’s favorite family-friendly music duo on Sept. 2 at 11 a.m.
Fairgoers who visit the Star Tribune will also have an opportunity to enter to win $10,000 in cash from Mystic Lake Casino Hotel.
More programming will be announced soon as part of Star Tribune’s comprehensive all-day/every-day coverage of all things related to Minnesota’s 157th State Fair.
About Star Tribune Media Company
Star Tribune Media Company LLC is a locally owned, award-winning media company serving Minnesota and the upper Midwest. With the fourth-largest Sunday and third-largest daily circulation metro print newspaper in the U.S., more than 100,000 digital subscribers,, a range of digital and home-delivered advertising solutions, and a growing portfolio of events, Star Tribune reaches more consumers than any other Minnesota media brand. For more information, visit www.startribunecompany.com