Star Tribune Unveils “Going Out” Smartphone App Featuring Location-Aware Listings and Recommendations for Dining, Entertainment
Sponsored by Mall of America, “Going Out” App Blends Hand-Curated Content from Star Tribune Experts with Location-Aware Recommendations, Reviews, and More
MINNEAPOLIS – August 26, 2013 – Aiming to give smartphone users an intuitive and useful way to plan their nightlife and social activities, Star Tribune Media Company today announced the availability of its new “Going Out” smartphone app. Going Out brings together a rich assortment of content, resources, and services that enable users to browse museum and theater listings, make dining reservations, scan live music options, read reviews, purchase tickets—and much more.
The location-aware app is hand-curated by local experts and integrates news and reviews from Star Tribune’s award-winning team of arts and entertainment reporters. Location awareness means Going Out can deliver more relevant recommendations based on where the user is. With Going Out, users can get up-to-date information on:
- Movies – Sort what’s playing tonight or this weekend by ratings and release dates. Read Star Tribune reviews, watch trailers, and even buy tickets through Fandango.
- Stage and Comedy – Get recommendations for plays, dance performances, comedy acts, readings, and more.
- Music and Clubs – Browse by date or across dozens of venues, or simply find out who’s playing nearby. You can also search by artist or keyword.
- Restaurants and Bars – Search through hundreds of local restaurants and filter by price, cuisine, Star Tribune rating, and more. And when you’ve made your choice, make a reservation (participating restaurants only).
- Art and Museums – Going Out presents a comprehensive list of exhibits and collections in the Twin Cities metro area, including major museums, art centers, colleges, boutiques, and galleries. A few extra taps will find nearby restaurants and bars to complete your outing.
- Family Entertainment – From walking tours, fairs, and children’s concerts to expos and open houses, Going Out shows you hundreds of options for family fun.
- Best Bets – If you’re not sure where to go, flip through Star Tribune’s top choices in every category.
Going Out also includes options to search and bookmark favorite places and upcoming events. The app is sponsored by the Mall of America and seamlessly highlights MOA’s own extensive entertainment options and happenings with an in-app link.
“With Going Out, our goal was to create a go-to resource that helps everyone find the best entertainment options, whether they’re planning ahead or being spontaneous,” said Jim Bernard, senior vice president of digital at Star Tribune. “Our app is managed by journalists who live and work in our communities, who understand the pulse of the Twin Cities and the tastes and preferences of Minnesotans. With that trusted Star Tribune point of view, location-awareness, and an easy way to make reservations and buy tickets, Going Out helps you make the most of your time and your entertainment dollars.”
The free Going Out app is available now for the Apple iPhone and Android-based smartphones. It’s available from the iTunes App Store, the Google Play store and other Android app sites.
About Star Tribune Media Company
Star Tribune Media Company LLC is a locally owned and operated media company serving Minnesota and the upper Midwest. Minnesota is the only U.S. market in the top 10 in household income, home ownership, health and fitness, literacy, spending on the arts, credit scores and online activity. With the seventh largest Sunday and 12th largest daily circulation newspaper in the U.S., the most-visited local website, and Twin Cities Values, Star Tribune reaches more consumers than any other Minnesota media brand. For more information visit startribune.com/advertise.